• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Rising of The Shield Hero (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Yah, the lack of immediate comeuppance is a disappointment, and I'm clueless as to how they're planning to tie everything up. I guess maybe the wave itself won't show up? Maybe the 4 heroes will reunite and finally do some power levelling and end with a guts pose in hopes of a season 4? Or else, some dark hidden hand will reveal itself and cue the cliffhanger?

Anyway, the Archer's wake-up slap was more interesting than I was expecting. Has the bow rejected him entirely, or was it just a tiff? Also...he's a level E on some kind of Wuxia or Korean Dungeon world? So he's a little stronger and faster than a normal human?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:23 pm Reply with quote
S2 #11

Like Ren before him, some background into the Bow Hero Itsuki and how that made it easier for Malty to get her claws into him when he was vulnerable. It's interesting he's the only one of the four Heroes to actually be something more than human before this whole enterprise began, but ended up learning the world is a bigger place than he imagined and failed to adapt to the shock.

It says a lot about how far he'd fallen that Rishia was able to gain the upper hand so easily before he had to resort to the Curse series. And even with one of the Curse series flashy moves requiring incantations, Rishia was still able to suppress him with her own weapon before he broke it. Not sure what the deal is with that fancy shape-changing weapon that's part of her new kit, but I don't think there's enough time to explore that before the adaptation draws to a close. Rishia did what she aspired to do, and she'll have to do much more if Itsuki is to be any use before the Phoenix rolls round.

Malty is almost certainly getting external help from somewhere, and speculation would naturally turn to the Invaders who have been targeting Naofumi and co's world. It's still pathetic that her influence is reduced to corrupting every one who isn't Naofumi compared to what she was capable of in season one, and it's a one-trick pony as well since everyone who's been tricked acquires significant immunity to any repeat attempts for at least an extended period of time.

I'm betting the last episode of this quarter is going to be the prelude to the Phoenix arc. The episode title doesn't suggest anything fancy, so probably the last moment of reflection they have before the Four Heroes must deal with the Phoenix as well as other Invaders taking the opportunity to save their world by destroying others. How the animators will approach this will have a huge say in how successful this season has been. By my estimate it's already surpassed the very low hurdle of season two but as expected is not worthy of comparison to the first season and its much longer airtime.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:10 am Reply with quote
Huh, I kind of expected the final episode to be a prep one that would show the hero gang getting ready to battle the phoenix. In reality it is the start of a whole new arc waging a war and then being able to solely focus on the phoenix again.

It kind of fits in with the rest of the season. Season 3 does not progress the main storyline concerning the waves and guardian beasts, instead it is a collection of side quests so to speak. Gathering all the heroes (and dealing with their bullshit), freeing the slaves, building up the town and dealing with issues and new characters that pop up unannounced. I loved some parts of it like building up the town and getting everyone stronger, yet the other heroes can jump of a cliff for all I care.

Anyway, the third season is a lot better than whatever the hell the second one was. The animation is great, the story while succinct is being told in an understandable way and the world got a fair bit more interesting. It is a solid to good time.

One moment of peace for the big victim of the season though....the buildings that keep getting destroyed....
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I agree that this season was much better than season 2, and I'm up for a fourth if anyone is offering.

I will say that I'm a bit surprised that the anime spent the entire season previewing and foreshadowing and referencing an upcoming event, and then never got around to it. Didn't even set it up as the next arc for the next season.

As to questions - Was it just me, or did the queen, who's always been a stalwart, competent, ally of the Shield Hero, look evil when she glanced sideways this episode?

And it's possible, but is it likely that Malty has been getting help from this island kingdom that's trying to kill Raphtalia? Her boat seemed to be headed in that direction if I'm getting the implication right. It had an Eastern feel to it anyhow.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:52 pm Reply with quote
S3 #12 End

Well that came out of nowhere. The approach towards compressing the adaptation to the bare necessities for narrative exposition have shown its worst facets again as casual viewers are taken completely by surprise in the latest revelations. There was no indication even from season one Raphtalia was anything more than just an unfortunate victim of raids, while her guardian's introduction this season didn't hint at anything more than just fellow villagers. Kadokawa are banking on fans of the source material being interested enough in this next story arc to keep adaptation of this franchise going, since casual viewers who have stayed since season one won't be enough to fund a fourth season.

Although this season did a better job than the previous one at moving the storyline along using limited airtime, it's still a flawed approach and not one to keep interest from casual viewers engaged. The first season did well because it had the airtime and the right pacing to develop the franchise; subsequent seasons have abandoned that formula altogether. I personally like the franchise enough to hope for more adaptations, but the production decision from season two onwards might have doomed this franchise to an incomplete adaptation with no chance of the full story being adapted. It is a shame, since the world presented has moved on from the shock value in season one used to hook viewers and has its own appeal that has been deliberately kneecapped by the production powers that be. I'd loved to be proven wrong and for more seasons to be greenlit, but the best I can hope for is something similar to season 3 and the heights of season 1 will remain unsurpassed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8