• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia Season 7

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zaenzcampbaesa1

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
zaenzcampbaesa1 wrote:
malvarez1 wrote:
zaenzcampbaesa1 wrote:
The level of bias of the reviewers on this website is something else. Last year these "journalists" tore apart JJK season 2, Bleach TYBW and Demon Slayer for every minimal thing they could, but this reviewer praises this fight of a character that not only is introduced to be killed in the same fight, but that actually has 0 repercutions later in the story.
This woman was used as a plot device only to pseudo-nerf the villain, she lasted 2 episodes, didn't even meet the main cast, introduces an overpowerded ability which had to be taken from the story immediately with a really poor excuse.

Ah but of course, My Hero Academia has favoritism on this website and is not measured with the same pole as other similar shonen series. The massive narrative problems can be overlooked in this series because the reviewer and the other crew members like it best.

This only works if all these reviews were written by the same person.

You'd think that these reviews here would be somewhat objective in nature and not just some opinions by regular fans of anime who overlook or exagerate problems in a show's narrative depending on how much they like said shows. These are supposedly to be professional review posts.

Hero Academia is not PLUTO nor Berserk nor HXH.

BUT, arguing its issues are in the same level of JJK S2, Bleach or KnY its not an objective view.

I can write a book about how not to phase a series with KnY, another one with how not to deal with a cast with JJK and another one on how not to write....whatever with Bleach.

That being said, objectivity doesn't exist, everybody its biased one way or another.

I can write a PHD thesis on how bad are the issues in My Hero Acadmia, how much it wastes its build up, how the author ruins every bit of tension he tries to create, how most of the main cast is completely wasted and how much worse its the payoff compared to all of these series which all have issues but only Kimetsu no Yaiba has such bad writting problems as My Hero Academia has.

However the minimum is that these people who are bieng paid to write these "reviews" measure series with the same pole, if not, anyone would be paid to listen how much they like their favorite series and how much they dislike others with little fairness.

This here is completely ridiculous, this fight is objectively badly put in the storyline since it can be taken out of it with little issue. Same harsh criticism of the Shibuya Incident reviews or the TYBW Bleach reviews should be applied here.
MyMasterMatthew

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 12:09 pm Reply with quote
A few years ago, YouTube decided to recommend some MHA videos that showed spoilery manga panels in the thumbnails, so I was already aware that spoiler[Aoyama is the traitor]. Still, I wasn't certain about the context, so I was hoping to at least be pleasantly surprised when we learned spoiler[his motivation for betraying everyone.] Now that I've seen this week's episode, I gotta say, I'm feeling kinda underwhelmed. It wasn't a BAD reason, per say, but when you think about how long it took us to reach this reveal, I expected a bigger and more compelling story. It probably doesn't help that spoiler[I've never been able to take Aoyama seriously, and he never grew on me as a character. I remember feeling bad when we learned that his Quirk causes so much discomfort, so when I was spoiled about his betrayal, I assumed his motive was asking All For One to make him Quirkless. That would have been a more compelling reason to get involved with the villains, in my opinion. Now that I know he used to be Quirkless, I feel even less invested in his storyline. Then again, on an emotional level, I was never really invested]. YouTube has spoiled a few other things for me, so I'm holding out hope that future episodes can salvage my opinion.

zaenzcampbaesa1 wrote:
I can write a PHD thesis on how bad are the issues in My Hero Acadmia, how much it wastes its build up, how the author ruins every bit of tension he tries to create, how most of the main cast is completely wasted and how much worse its the payoff compared to all of these series which all have issues but only Kimetsu no Yaiba has such bad writting problems as My Hero Academia has.

However the minimum is that these people who are bieng paid to write these "reviews" measure series with the same pole, if not, anyone would be paid to listen how much they like their favorite series and how much they dislike others with little fairness.

This here is completely ridiculous, this fight is objectively badly put in the storyline since it can be taken out of it with little issue. Same harsh criticism of the Shibuya Incident reviews or the TYBW Bleach reviews should be applied here.

I genuinely don't understand why someone else's opinion bothers you so much. No one is forcing you to read these reviews. Your account on ANN was created recently, which leads me to believe you signed up just to share your frustration. If something bothers you THAT much, maybe it isn't worth your time?

I'm also not sure why you think ANN has a hive mind. You're comparing the reviews for Jujutsu Kaisen and Demon Slayer (written by James) to the reviews for My Hero Academia (written by Nicholas). They are two different people.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, my MHA viewing experience is finally complete, I/we "anime-onlies" have gotten to see Toru-chan (Hagakure) and she's as cute as her voice. Also, she actually does something this Ep...
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 10:57 am Reply with quote
"but it sits awkwardly in the middle of the episode. Presenting a red herring doesn't work when you immediately throw it back into the water. This would have worked better as the cliffhanger for the last episode, leaving us with a week to stew on the apparent reveal before pulling the rug out from under us. What we get here is just awkward and aimless."

Oh, you are 100% right, that's how it was in the manga, the anime dropped the ball there.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 11:11 am Reply with quote
Nicholas:
Quote:
At a different point in the story, Aoyama's betrayal might have been met with anger but by now, Deku and the rest of the cast only have sympathy for their classmate

At this point in the story, the "rest of the cast" also knows Deku's story of being born quirkless... Which no doubt helps them be sympathetic for Aoyama.

And story wise we've also met (and lost) Twice, who might have been a hero if he hadn't had some bad breaks. Gentle Criminal also kind of plays that angle. Hitoshi Shinso having to work against the perception that he possesses a "villainous quirk" echoes the same ideas.
#Droneku

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 11:20 am Reply with quote
It's ironic that the reviewer complaints about an abandon plotline suddenly coming up, and then it ends with an out of nowhere (inside?) joke about Monoma that probably no one cares about because no one remember reviews.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 11:43 am Reply with quote
MyMasterMatthew wrote:
It wasn't a BAD reason, per say, but when you think about how long it took us to reach this reveal, I expected a bigger and more compelling story

I wasn't a fan of the reveal, but I don't think there's any sort of 'bigger and more compelling story' that would have fixed it for me. The primary issue wasn't scale, it being unbelievable, being unsympathetic, or what-have-you; it's just that there was basically no setup for this, and dropping a sad backstory on the viewer all at once feels cheap and unearned. In 140ish episodes of content, they could and should have built up to this kind of reveal gradually, and in a way that would help us sympathize with spoiler[Aoyama's] motivations. Instead, we get a kind of characterization-by-info-dump.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 3:13 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
MyMasterMatthew wrote:
It wasn't a BAD reason, per say, but when you think about how long it took us to reach this reveal, I expected a bigger and more compelling story

I wasn't a fan of the reveal, but I don't think there's any sort of 'bigger and more compelling story' that would have fixed it for me. The primary issue wasn't scale, it being unbelievable, being unsympathetic, or what-have-you; it's just that there was basically no setup for this, and dropping a sad backstory on the viewer all at once feels cheap and unearned. In 140ish episodes of content, they could and should have built up to this kind of reveal gradually, and in a way that would help us sympathize with spoiler[Aoyama's] motivations. Instead, we get a kind of characterization-by-info-dump.

Depends on what you mean with building the reveal, there is a reason why people always considered Kaminari, Toru and Aoyama the 3 main suspects, there are a lot of hints for them scared across the plot.

Kaminari specially, to this day you can find fan art, even manga pages, of his reveal as a villain

But, people discarded Aoyama after the cheese episode and Kaminari after the reveal of him being in love with Jiro.

Toru was the last one, using her as a red flag was not coincidence, now, the tear jerker justification its just you generic "I had no other option" plotline.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm talking specifically about the character work behind the reveal, not whether intrigue was built over which characters it could possibly be. i.e., I was disappointed that motivations/backstory were pretty much completely dropped on viewers after the reveal, rather than building spoiler[Aoyama] up as a complex and sympathetic character organically over many episodes before the reveal.

The intrigue was decent, even if it seemed largely forgotten by the story for a long while. But the payoff is very limited given how little work was put into properly developing the character behind the betrayal.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 12:50 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I'm talking specifically about the character work behind the reveal, not whether intrigue was built over which characters it could possibly be. i.e., I was disappointed that motivations/backstory were pretty much completely dropped on viewers after the reveal, rather than building spoiler[Aoyama] up as a complex and sympathetic character organically over many episodes before the reveal.

The intrigue was decent, even if it seemed largely forgotten by the story for a long while. But the payoff is very limited given how little work was put into properly developing the character behind the betrayal.

I quite frankly always knew they would throw the generic "I had no option" backstory, the traitor subplot was not something Hori cared a lot, he completely ignored the thing for like 7 years, most people simply thought he forgot.
I mean, he originally was planning the reveal to be back in the forest when Aoyama was even less of a character, that's how little he cared.

Now, had I written it, I would have made Shoji the traitor, I can see a way more interesting subplot there linking it to the discrimination suplot (which is underdeveloped too), I can see it, Shoji and Spiner being childhood friends who faced discrimination together and then Shoji was sent by AFO to infiltrate UA but his time there changes his perspective.

The drama writes itself.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Star was cool; shame she died to check off a plot box. Aoyama's too goofy for me to take him seriously. It's a bit better in the manga where you don't hear his goofy voice. Blue Exorcist did it better. Deku's good this episode, though. The bonus week leading into Aoyama's reveal into the potential material of next episode is good though.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 10:24 am Reply with quote
I am 100% sure of where this season is going to end, I can picture the final post-credits scene in my head and everything.

But, if fans are right and Hori is going to strive for 42 Vols just so he can make a final Spiderman reference there is not enough material for a 24 episode season, it would be more like 15 which its an awkward number.

...They are gonna make 2 movies aren't they?

Well, I will take anything besides the 1-chapter per episode BS.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I know melodrama is one of those thing MHA frequently engages in, but they have really laid it on thick in these last two episodes. Could they have not had at least one member of class say that, while they understand the circumstances, what he did can not easily be forgiven, nor can he be trusted again. Instead of every character tripping over themselves to instantly forgive him.

It might have worked better with another character, instead of the unlikeable comic relief character we hardly ever see. And if his reasons for obeying All For You, had been less selfish than, being scared that All For One might possibly kill him.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Everybody seems to be in love with the scene of all the children mad, dunno why, but whatever.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 9:23 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I know melodrama is one of those thing MHA frequently engages in, but they have really laid it on thick in these last two episodes. Could they have not had at least one member of class say that, while they understand the circumstances, what he did can not easily be forgiven, nor can he be trusted again. Instead of every character tripping over themselves to instantly forgive him.

It might have worked better with another character, instead of the unlikeable comic relief character we hardly ever see. And if his reasons for obeying All For You, had been less selfish than, being scared that All For One might possibly kill him.

I think the main problem comes down to waiting too long to address that bit of plot. Any of our more established characters would have maybe sold the sense of betrayal, but the audience's reaction probably wouldn't be a positive one. Maybe if it had been somebody more important, but was revealed back around season 3 it would have worked? Back when the prospect of a mole in UA was first brought up, I thought it would go for an even easier route and make it one of the teachers, and probably not Aizawa or Midnight. After this long, it's hard for any choice to seem like an adequate payoff, and it's slipped in so late that it's pretty easy to see why it comes off as a forgotten plot point. I'd probably think the same if not for the cheese scene being so suspicious.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4