• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Linebarrels of Iron.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiggz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Linebarrels of Iron

Sorry if there is already a thread, I searched could not find it so here we go! Hey guys i am kinda new on the forum just here to talk about this anime. I am a big mecha fan and anime shonen fan ect.

I think the mecha in this anime look cool, and i think production and CD will be very good quality. Has anyone put this on their " TO WATCH" list ? If anyone has more info other then what the main site has I would love to hear about it, does anyone know the plot line ? it looks really really cool and the mechs look very nicely designed.

It is airing in oct. some time i think the 8th or something like that. Knowing all the mecha fan's out there and mecha subbers, I am sure it will be subbed on release!

Please some opinions and stuff! Smile
Boomerang Flash

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Although I am rather fond of mecha, I actually found this title because it has character designs by Hisashi Hirai (which resulted in characters who look unrecognizably different from those in the manga, though the same could be said of all manga versions corresponding to series for which he was the designer). Since I love his style, I've been waiting for this series for months.

There are some reservations. I read some of the manga after reading about this title. The main character, Kouichi, is, as my friend puts it, "spoiler[even more arrogant and short tempered than Shinn Asuka,]" and I find this description rather appropriate. He is a very spoiler[irresponsible teenager] who spoiler[revels in displaying his new found abilities,] which are both physical and mental. The female lead (the mysterious newcomer--Emi--, not the childhood friend--Riisako) seems like she's spoiler[a bit mentally unbalanced and a trained killer.] I'll check it out, but hopefully it won't turn out to be a disaster like Gin-iro no Olynssis.

The title is produced by Gonzo, which is very active in shutting down fansub distributions of their titles. Thus, I wouldn't hold too much hope that you will find it in the fansub circles. On the other hand, it may be officially subbed and released over various streaming outlets soon after the episodes air in Japan. Given that the series premiered in the U.S. back in July, they might place foreign priority fairly high.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, there's definitely a good chance BOST and CrunchyRoll will be airing it.

As much as I love BOST, the trailer turned me away from this series...CGI Mecha + Ali Projects makes me go D: (Two horrible tastes that taste horrible together).
Elfen12

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Theres something very subtle about the plot that makes me want to watch it. It's got this very simple vibe to it, it just seems very straightforward, but too a degree where i'd actually be interested in seeing it. I'm not describing what i'm trying to say so well, as ususal, but it's just... it doesn't sound like "Takeshi Fujiwara has 18 brothers, and 1 sister, and on one fateful night, while he was asleep, he dreamt a dream he would never wake up from again... in Takeshi's dream, there's a girl who seems to have aquirred strange mystical powers. She , going soleley by Kyoko, is aware of her mysterious powers, but doesn't knwo why or who gave them to her. All she knows is she has to fight for this mysterious organization Qupat-A, who's intentions aren't clear. However the oppositional group, Shuepter, is trying to take over the government which is held up by 26 differnet companies, comprising of 26 basic industries in Takeshi's world that together run the economy, politics and social aspects of the world. Takeshi and Kyoko are soon brought to the main city of the world, A-1 (Area one), with it's nickname Mud-town. Takeshi and kyoko have to make it all on their own. Takeshi soon finds out in order for him to help this girl, he'll have to go through a major self-inflicting trial, but before that, he'll have to make sure he's mentally prepared, or he'll ..... (and on and on and on)" yeah, you konw one of those intricate plot's that gets your head all jumbled up. (That in the quote was entirley made up, please, please, please do not get your hopes up, but i know better). So yeah looking forward to this show. Much to the i like the way this show sounds with it's simplicity, and if it can pull off being either just really great, or a classic, then it's got a place in my book. I'm excited.

-Elfen12- i didn't mean to go overboard with my fake plot, it just got my message across of the intricate plots that sometimes can make your head feel like it wants to blow up or something
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:49 am Reply with quote
Two things make me hesitant:

1) Character designs by Hirai Hisashi. Yes, the same Hirai Hisashi "if you take any single one of his characters, take away their hair and eye color, they all look exactly the same" Hirai Hisahi. First took notice of his "art" and "reputation" from Gundam SEED and have been a real cynic towards anything he does ever since.

2) Directed by Hidaka Masamitsu, whose main credits seem to be involved in directing Pokémon of all things.

However, two things also make me very curious:

1) OP by ALI PROJECT and ED by Sakamoto Maaya. Haven't heard any of her singing since Wolf's Rain, and it's a darn shame she never did any songs for Ouran either.

2) Damn impressive lineup of seiyuu they got here, though I'm disappointed Nakata Jouji is listed as a tertiary character. But at least one of the mains is taken by the most heavenly female voice in the world *swoon~*
shogun22

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:33 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

2) Directed by Hidaka Masamitsu, whose main credits seem to be involved in directing Pokémon of all things.

Really? Hmmmm....
But, anyway it seems interetsing enough for me to check it out, at least based on the promotional video Gonzo released.

Tony K. wrote:
However, two things also make me very curious:

1) OP by ALI PROJECT and ED by Sakamoto Maaya. Haven't heard any of her singing since Wolf's Rain, and it's a darn shame she never did any songs for Ouran either.

In my case, I just heard them in Code Geass R2.
Same usual ALI PROJECT sound...
BES Null Core

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Two hours after it aired in Japan, it's up at Crunchyroll, presumably legally, since it's reported on the front page.

Some changes from the manga. It looks like that the Linebarrel (part of a series called MACHINA) spoiler[fell from orbit after warping to Earth] rather than was spoiler[part of a hangar] as in the manga. The duration for which Kouichi had his powers was much shorter in this episode, and he already exhibits some of the arrogance that he showed after having it for years in the manga. I wonder if they will also show the part where it boosted his intelligence and, if so, how. It must've been a very big comedown when Emi told him that spoiler[he's already dead.]

Mecha design wise, they seem to sport fairly wide structures at the shoulder and knee joints, with the thighs thinning as they run down the legs. The waist is narrower compared to the chest and the hip (or at least hip+the hip joints). There is a line running down the back of some of the enemy mecha that is reminiscent of an exposed spine. The head design is somewhat simple. While some machines have antennae, they are mostly decorated with one camera lens without the elaborate mask like ornamentation of gundams. The mecha generally move by sliding over the ground rather than by running. Presumably, they hover rather than because of lazy animation.

The overall effect? They are reminiscent of Orbital Frames from Zone of the Enders. The mecha used by the Special Self Defense Force, in particular, looks like the Justeen from Zone of the Enders: the Fist of Mars (although I think that's a LEV), only painted grey. This is rather unfortunate for the CG series. Some of the shots, in particular the ones of the enemy mecha (called Kikans, I think) that were also in the trailer, shows a smooth and shininess that's reminiscent of the relatively primitive CG of the PS1/N64 era. It does get rid of this shininess later, with some good shadow effects thrown in, but the jerkiness of the movements still makes it quite inferior to the cutscenes of Zone of the Enders 2. This is a TV series, compared to the scenes in ZoE2, which are only enough to fill a movie or two, but I believe the cutscenes ZoE2 were pre-rendered using the same graphics renderer as the in game graphics. Either way, it's rather hard not to be reminded of those better scenes.

Ah well, still a good watch. I'll be looking forward to future episodes.

Disclaimer: The third paragraph lists traits that are similar to OFs in order to justify being reminded of ZoE for those who are familiar with the series. It does not imply that ZoE is the originator of those traits or that it's the only series to have all of them or any subset of them. Keep that in mind when making any rebuttals.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:45 am Reply with quote
English dubbed trailer...with the original Japanese voice actors. www. Some Mamiko Noto engrish at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zNyfrHmCYQ

Gonzo is so awesome. I actually want to check out the show after seeing this, though I'm gonna wait till it's on BOST instead of CrunchyRoll (CR is inferior to BOST).
BES Null Core

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2 up at Crunchyroll, and Anubis joins the fray.

Much more promising than the previous episode, which made the series seem generic. Episode 2 makes episode 1 seem misleading, though at this point, it's hard to say which deviates more.

I have heard the claim that Evangelion is a deconstruction of the boy-gets-super-robot trope in that it portrays a protagonist who remains in and possibly sinks further into spoiler[his depression] after he was chosen to pilot a giant robot to save the world. Linebarrels appears, at this point, to accomplish the same goal but with a different approach: the, at the start, equally wimpy Kouichi gets his giant robot and spoiler[immediately becomes drunk on its power, declaring himself a hero of justice and fights everybody, including people who are also fighting the villains and were not attacking him.] The theme is highlighted in this episode, where the battle takes place in spoiler[an oil refinery, where Kouichi fights without regard to the tanks he is destroying.] The end result is the same, but, to be honest, I fine Linebarrel's approach more entertaining--at this point, anyway. I'm hoping that it had not exhausted this approach by making it as obvious in this episode as it is.

The CG didn't improve, but they have gotten better at hiding the poor quality of the models. Unlike the previous episode, the battles took place in poorly lit areas and times, making the details more difficult to discern (especially on CR), so it isn't as noticeable. Not nearly as good a solution as actually improving the CG, but it's passable.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was fairly interesting, but it probably won't be a priority watch for me this season. The twist at the end was interesting, although I sort of saw it coming, I mean, spoiler[all his torso clothing, front and back, were slathered in blood for no apparent reason. I assume he got tore wide open, and that Emi chick magically stiched him back up or something?]
jel123

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Based on the first two episodes this doesn't seem to be all that bad. I Agree with the comments on the CG, let's hope that all rest of the battles will take place in the dark;-).

But I have to ask; is this story meant to be taken seriously? The reason for the question is that some elements are very close to being a parody of the giant robot genre. In both episodes Kouichi's spoiler[flagrant disregard for civilian casualties is very reminiscent of Akahori Gedou Hour Rabuge where Aimi and Kaoruko don't care how much collateral damage they inflict as long as "justice prevails". Culminating with the end of the world and the "evil" Hokke Sisters begging the duo to teach _them_ how to to be evil.]
And although not mecha related spoiler[Bakuen Campus Guardress also comes to mind EDIT:(Hazumi the queen of "Friendly Fire"/The Destructive Goddess of Darkness;-)].

Then in the second ep. Kouichi, spoiler[after summoning Linebarrel by groping Emi (that would get my giant robot's attention too;-), stops at a pay phone to call Yajima to make sure that he is watching the fight!!?!? Maybe this is just to reinforce that Kouichi is very immature?]

There are no comedy or parody indicators on either the manga or the anime. They don't appear to be following the source very closely but can anyone who has read manga comment on whether this is meant to be a comedy?

EDIT: I guess episode 3 answers my question; they appear to be taking this seriously. Even though I was hoping for something else I will stick with it for a few more episodes at least Anime smile
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:26 am Reply with quote
i hate to say it, but i'm really starting to like this show. episode 4 was awesome. spoiler[i wasn't expecting them to kill of the best friend so fast].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1