• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
KUROSUFAIYAH

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Delthayre

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Firstly, I'm glad to see it back. I recall Brian (LordByronius to us) mentioning that it had been abandonned or somesuch on the Anime Jump forums (currently crippled in server-switch hell). I was a bit dissapointed, because I like it

This edition did provide a diversity of views, although as yet there isn't any great constrast of views. But it's still, in terms of number of attempts, a young feature and I scarcely want it to turn into the vapid, acrimonious fracas of hell-beasts that cable news has trained too many people to consider debate.

My real interest here, however, more regards the execution of Kurosufaiyah.

1. Are the participants given any forewarning as to what the topics will be?

2. How are the discussions facilitated?

3. What kind of editting, if any, is done prior to posting, and by whom? And I in no way think that the editor selectively changes things for some insidious alterior purpose.

4. Was there a particular reason for it's resurrection?

I think I may have used some atomic flyswatters up there, but I think you can get the spirit of what I was saying.

I'll probably chip in with something more substantial later. But, to be honest, very little of what was discussed was of great interest to me. Indeed, it was more illuminating than anything.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:11 pm Reply with quote
First off, I'm glad you like the feature. We may make it a bi-weekly thing permanently so long as interest is there and we can get a nice rotation of panel guests.

"1. Are the participants given any forewarning as to what the topics will be?"

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. If it's a one-topic discussion (see the Dub installment), everyone's been notified. Otherwise I usually just toss things out there. I make a point to invite people I know are ready for anything.

"2. How are the discussions facilitated?"

We do them in a private chat room.

"3. What kind of editting, if any, is done prior to posting, and by whom? And I in no way think that the editor selectively changes things for some insidious alterior purpose."

I'm the moderator, so it's sort of "my show". I edit out the superfluous comments and silliness that usually run rampant whenever the four of us get in the same chat room. We also make a lot of off-color comments that I really couldn't put up (and Tempest would have my head for presuming otherwise).

"4. Was there a particular reason for it's resurrection?"

It's fun to do, I like doing it, everyone else likes doing it, and when I've done it in the past, people seemed to like it. Plus it facillitated discussion on the boards.

You've really got me on one thing, though, and that's that I seriously need to get some panel guests with viewpoints that differ. As it is we have too much agreement and that kinda makes things boring. Next time (in 2 weeks) I'll pull together some more disparate panel guests, and we'll watch the feathers fly.

Thanks for reading! Does anyone else have a comment on what we said in the column?
-Z
radicaledward

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was an intersting discusion, how ever I have two questions:

1) Will you be accepting questions from the "audience", perhaps get questions for a discusion from the forums.

2) How do you determine whom is on the panel members/guests?
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Alright, I'll post a few minor comments.

Rebecca: "I've recently graduated with a degree in Japanese Studies...."

This has nothing to do with the actual subject. I'm just wondering what is covered in this field? The language? Pop culture?

"The idea to split the game up into four parts wasn't the best decision, since people who want all four games will have to shell out a lot more money,"

If it had gratuitous cgi sequences that compensated for story,
like FF, I'm sure people would buy it, like they're ready to buy FFX-2. Anyway, I'm just waiting for a price drop on all the games, before I buy them. I'm sick of paying $50 for any game I can beat in a week, and I feel the industry as a whole needs to sell their content at a more affordable and comparable price."

"Azumanga Daioh falls into the category of 'Why the hell is this thing popular?!?!' anime."

Didn't you see my thread on the manga? It's cus the girls wear short skirts.

Brian: "But I guess it would be kind of naive to assume that dot Hack could come to achieving even one-tenth of the popularity the series achieved in Japan..."

Well the Japanese are stupid when it comes to buying videogames, and they'll always pay for the most expensive crap out there. If the DC or GC cost $400 like the PS2, then I'm sure they would've picked one of those instead. But pointing out something of actual cultural relevance, on-line gaming isn't as big in Japan as it is here. So they're willing to take a facsimile of Everquest instead.

"The people who find it funny are no different than the millions of people that tune in to watch "Friends" every Thursday night."

Friends is enjoyable in small doses. Azumanga Daioh is not.

"Or the handful of Americans who paid 8 bucks to watch "Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star"'

Out of fairness, the competition for that weekend was pretty weak.

Zac: "...the cutsiness is going to turn off every testosterone-filled high school anime fan instantly."

I doubt it. The characters probably just don't have the sex appeal of those in FF X-2, which will sell quite nicely to horny fanboys who are too lazy to download hentai doujinshi-which ironically has a better story-instead.

"Furthermore, that statement was hyperbole; obviously not everyone who watches the show is a creepy old man with a loli complex."

Most likely a creepy 20-something man with a loli complex. j/k

Bamboo: "Why watch a show like that when they can watch a newer show like Love Hina or Ai Yori Aoshi?"

I don't think it's age as much as the same problem with .hack. Oversaturation of the product. Although it seems to have a stronger fanbase than .hack.

"people say that it brings them nostalgia from their past days of high school life, or the happiness of hanging out with their friends after school, and I can understand that."

I can't, since I never had friends in high school.
ex_mutants

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, there isn’t much opposing viewpoints going in that feature so it doesn’t make for an interesting or well-rounded read. Honestly I’ve noticed that AnimeNewsNetwork has certain viewpoint or feel to it. Now I know even general national news outlets have a certain “bent” to them, but it’s nice to have opposing viewpoints (Being flippant, I blame the “certain viewpoint” that a lot of Anime fandom, like this site, has because they are all college kids, but that’s not exactly being fair.)
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Azumanga Daioh was quite popular when we showed it at our anime club.

I'm so glad that the sole reason for this is that a 40 member club has a collective lolita complex. Thanks for clearing that up.

Sure, it's no Evangelion, but it's cute, mildly entertaining, and pretty artwork.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I showed it at my anime club and every female left the room. All that was left were a pack of 18+ single males who sniggered at the breast size jokes and then went on about how cute Chiyo-chan was.

Don't take the comments made in the column personally. Show a little objectivity.

-Z
Delthayre

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:01 am Reply with quote
Maybe Zac should invite GATSU to join the next Kurosufiayah. It would almost certainly add to the conflictive aspect of a debate. Aaron White might make a good debator as well. As I think of it, there are a number of people on these boards that might make good participants. Staffers from other sites, like Chris Beveridge (AoD) or Mike Toole (AJ), might also make good contributors, but I imagine there could be problems.

I know how hard it is to get a debate going in ernest. Sometimes the participants just aren't ready to take a tack against the wind, or more often (and this may have happened here), they just don't disagree much on an issue and can't really have a debate, it become more of an informative discussion.

One thing that initially caught me off guard was hearing about the apparent failure of .Hack. I hadn't thought of it at all, the last time I recall hearing of it was a friend mentioning how he had found it very difficult, beyond that, it was out of my mind. Of course that, in retrospect, would seem to be reflective of it's staggering presence in the U.S. I recall a rather aggressive ad campaign and the show initially having a fairly good timeslot on CN. Then it switched to midnight (which we knew of ahead of time) and eventually the add campaign flagged. I imagine Bandai's splitting it into four releases certainly hindered it's success. The longer it takes to get something that comes in pieces, the more people you lose.

I was actually thinking about that phenomenon just after I finished watching Noir v. 6. When the show came out, there was a curious mix of reviews and a lot of strong opinions on either side of the fence. Now it seems to have more or less slipped out of the stagelights. I'll grant this isn't atypical of series in general, but that was the moment is most struck me.

All the take about AzuDai was news too me. I remember the nasty little spat about it on the boards a few months back (Zac yelled at me when I told him to calm down Sad ), but I scarcely knew anything about the show. I certainly don't feel like going out and seeking it now.

Last edited by Delthayre on Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:34 am; edited 1 time in total
ChickMagnet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:12 am Reply with quote
Delthayre wrote:
I certainly don't feel like going out and seeking it now.

Why? Because of what Zac thinks?

The jokes in AzuDai may not be funny for some people. I tend to think they are quite entertaining (and I hate "Friends" Smile )

I guess I'm just glad I have a sense of humor.

CM
ex_mutants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:21 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I showed it at my anime club and every female left the room. All that was left were a pack of 18+ single males who sniggered at the breast size jokes and then went on about how cute Chiyo-chan was.
-Z

Well I know my wife and several other females that like it(AzuDai), so maybe it's appeal isn't universal. Maybe these single males are just focusing on the boob jokes because that's what alot of single males do (remember some single males think the Sears Catalog is pretty cool too).
Delthayre

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:21 am Reply with quote
ChickMagnet wrote:
Why? Because of what Zac thinks?

Well, actually, yes. But so far I have yet to see a great divergence in our respective tastes (from what I can know of him). Quite the same with Brian (LordByronius). And frankly, the setting and style of the humor, if this and a few other things I have sought out subsequently, don't fall well outside of my own comedic sensibilities. Which I admittedly tend to be elitist about sometimes (less self-deprecatory people would call it having high standards).
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:26 am Reply with quote
Coming from one of those twenty-something year olds, I can safely say my enjoyment of Azumanga Daioh has nothing to do with my minor loli complex. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Although I liked the artwork, I enjoyed it for the humor. I found it funny because it was more offbeat and a bit erratic at times. It reminded me a little of vaudeville in its style, and some people enjoy that kind of humor. In fact, modern comedy today owes a great deal to that style of comedy. At least back then, there was more thought into put into things... today most (not all) comedy seems to rely on being mindless.

Although the people who made their comments didn't find it funny, I think they should give a little more credit to those who do.

To Delthayre: Although I understand your reasoning, as I usually seek out what other reviewers have to say, (and the best kind of reviewer to find is one that shares similar tastes,) it's still better to check it out and form your own opinion. It is still highly likely for you to find things that you like that Zac does not. Ergo, while it is perfectly fine to know what to expect based on what a reviewer has said, you do yourself a service by reviewing it yourself and formulating your own opionion on it. (not that I've seen it reviewed here, but rather pummeled due to a general dislike of the series by the commentators)

That's just my little take on things.

Last edited by Godaistudios on Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ex_mutants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:30 am Reply with quote
Delthayre wrote:

I was actually thinking about that phenomenonjust after I finished watching Noir v. 6. When the show came out, there was a curious mix of reviews and a lot of strong opinions on either side of the fence. Now it seems to have more or less slipped out of the stagelights. I'll grant this isn't atypical of series.

Considering there is so much on the market nowadays maybe titles are just getting lost in the crowd. As soon as a new “hot” title comes out, there is another title right on its heels right to take its few seconds in the limelight. Of course there is also a lot of hype flying around and some Anime just aren’t going to live up to their hype and that’s going to make people gun-shy to buy into hype again.

Maybe Anime companies should take a more passive/lowkey approach to advertising and stop trying to make everything the “next big thing”. Anime is already red hot as it is, so it’s not like it’s going to take a lot of arm twisting to get people to buy anime, but if the crank up the hype to high it’s just going to increase the chance of burnout.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:09 am Reply with quote
Alright, well, lemme get something straight here, folks.

First of all, I did say that I knew plenty of people who really love the show for legit reasons and were perfectly normal people. I assume most of you are that type. Heck, some of you may not be. It's none of my business. I have been hyperexposed to (what I can probably characterize as) a small segment of the fan population that happen to fetishize the characters. Old guys going on and on and on and on about how cute a ten year old is is really creepy, people, and if you've never seen it in person... be happy and move on with your life. I suggest you go to an anime con every now and then and watch who buys what and their reactions to things. Scary.

Secondly, I really don't find Azumangah Daioh funny. Here are some things I do find funny:

Curb Your Enthusiasm
The Daily Show
Late Night with Conan O'Brien
The Kids in the Hall
Mystery Science Theater 3000
Mr. Show
Seinfeld

That sort of thing. If you've seen some of these series, then you'll notice that AzuDai is most definetely not my kind of humor. In fact, I think that people who do find it THAT funny have impaired senses of humor, since it is so horrifyingly repetitive. Same with Excel Saga. Now, that makes me sound really elitist, but I'm just being honest here. Some people probably think I have a seriously impaired sense of humor for laughing at what I laugh at. Someone probably laughed once during Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star. I didn't. Does that make me elitist? No. Does that make me a sucker who will watch anything with an ex-SNL cast member from when I was a kid in it? Yes. Yes it does. It's all relative, folks, and since I was giving my opinion, which I am apt to do, I said what I said. I stand by it. I also stand by the fact that I said AzuDai is more often than not enjoyed by normal folks. People who don't have lolita complexes.

Delthayre, thank you for your kind words and I do apologize for 'yelling' (as much as one can do that on a forum) at you about telling me to calm down. That is a serious pet peeve of mine, but I do apologize for getting angry with you.

-Zac
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:25 am Reply with quote
As far as the anime cons comment, truer words were never spoken... and you are right, it is really, really creepy.

note to self: Next time I do a "how not to be an... ass" panel (for those at NDK, you may have been there and remember it) include those with the overzealous loli complexes.

But I MUST ask you to concede on one point. Most of the things that you named of that are funny (and most of those, I also enjoy) are just as repetitive as Azumanga Daioh. Especially Kids in the Hall and Conan. They find their groove and will stick with what works for them. They repeat characters and skits and sometimes get overdone. Not that I think they aren't creative, but I don't think they are any less repetitive either. I think the style of humor is diffent though and because it's subjective, it's hard to see that it is as repetitive as some other things you don't care for as much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5