• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Zom 100: Bucket List of the Dead (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:38 am Reply with quote
I didn't really need the boss to be torn apart by zombies (partly cause I really don't need Zombie Boss), but I sure was itchin' for either Shizuka or Akira to smash a mug or bottle across his slobbering face. I just hope this is the last we see of him.

Wonder what happened to Shizuka's dad? Eaten by zombie puppies, I hope.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

As hoped, the arc of Akira reverting to a PTSD work zombie is over. Wow, so didn't enjoy even a single second of that. And for added funsies we got introduced to Shizuka's greasy, gaping a-hole of a father. I knew that puppy was toast the second it popped on screen. Ugh. Okay, can we go back to having fun, again? Surely to God Beatrix Amerhauser makes her long awaited debut next time? Please?
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:28 am Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
Even aside from the subject matter, it was strange that the best friend was so passive - although he's also broken in his own way- and the zombie outbreak occurring at precisely the right moment and so quickly seemed contrived.

I pretty much chalked that up to the fact the he was still recovering from his injuries. After all, it had only been two days.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:50 am Reply with quote
I couldn't believe the boss somehow got even worse when he started sexually harassing Shizuka, and doing way too real power plays with her. He was even trying to get her drunk so that she would be more compliant for him to do things to her. What a sleazeball that was entirely unpleasant to even watch.

Being made to feel uncomfortable is probably a good thing. I do wish she was able to do more against him, and he even pulled the "hysterics" thing.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:21 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

It's been a long time coming, but the intro of Beatrix did not disappoint. I was also happy to see the show get back to wish fulfillment territory (albeit with zombies butting in) rather than wallowing in "horrible bossitis." I'm sure Taisho must have been a nod to Jiro from Jiro Dreams of Sushi. Watching that made me crave some high end sushi. More character growth for Shizuka which was nice to see.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:48 am Reply with quote
C'mon Kencho, did you really have to get naked to lure the zombie horde? I don't think it's your butt they're after. Smile His bucket list is clearly "be naked all the time" and that's it. He needs to just own that and fly free.

Just once, I'd like to see an anime girl who neither freaks the hell out over being seen in the buff, nor doesn't mind because she's a nympho looking to seduce any sweet young thing within a half mile radius. I get being startled, and/or shy, and/or initially embarrassed, but once the skin is seen, it's seen, and if you're in a hot spring, during the apocalypse, just shrug and go with it. What difference does it make at that point? Laying down all the rules around "don't look" just makes me Rolling Eyes. So yeah, give me a woman who's pragmatic rather than extreme about her modesty. Just once is all I ask.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:18 am Reply with quote
I thought this was just going to be a recap episode, so it was a pleasant surprise to find a new episode...for once (koff!). And I was also glad to see that the show was getting back to its carpe diem roots. Corpse diem? Anyway, it was a little scary to see how Bea and Akira's obsessive impulses twined together, but she turned out to be pretty much what I was expecting except a little more innocent in her bad-assery.

So I guess in terms of what each person brings to the party, Shizuka is the planner, Akira knocks them down in his shark suit, Beatrix finishes them off with that pike, and Kencho....ummm....gets naked. As for the nudity issues (or lack thereof) I think Kencho's fetish is officially confirmed, not that there was much doubt. Considering the S&M room he was in when Akira first called him, I kind of wonder if having people laugh at his stand-up was really about being a comic in the first place....

Fun episode (Thank God). I'm curious to see what the treehouse thing is going to be about...or how a treehouse is going to play out anyhow.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:33 am Reply with quote
I was thinking a bit along the same way, see themselves as adults, and no need to freak out in the way she did. At least Beatrix wasn't quite that way, but I don't know if that is something like a Japanese idea of westerners.

Does feel a little sad that it took us so long to get to what I think might be one of the more fun characters. Especially coming off of an arc I would say was not particularly fun.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:04 am Reply with quote
Ha, yeah, I guess Bea kinda fulfilled my "just one" wish, huh. Embarassed Also someone in the review thread pointed out that Shizuka didn't seem to have a problem with Kencho standing naked next to her during the zombie herding, so her freaking out when he dives into the spring later was a little weird.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:03 am Reply with quote
Seeing someone naked and being seen naked are different things, it seemed more to me that she didn't want Akira to see her rather than her being embarrassed that he's naked. She didn't seem to particularly mind when both Akira and Kencho were swimming either
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:15 pm Reply with quote
So, given that we still have no idea when episode 10 to 12 will appear, I just binged the two episodes I have missed. The boss is still a jerk arc was indeed not fun, the series is at its best when it is free and wacky. Returning back to the dark times of episode 1 does not make for fun at all.

Episode 8 on the other hand was one of the best episodes. The gang has been completed (finally) and what a lively group it is. Be it going for some sushi or a bath, they make for great adventures. Shizuka has also mellowed out a lot and is now the tactician of the group with two super heroes and a....streaker.

I do wonder what will happen after the upcoming episode though, as far as I know there has not been a peep about the last 3 episodes, right?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Correct. I have not heard anything about the fate of episodes 10 thru 12, either.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, that should mean we get some update as to what happens to those after the upcoming episode. I just hope it is still this year.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:12 am Reply with quote
So would a Bizarro Akira be like the shmuck we saw in this episode, or would a Bizarro Akira be someone who was trying to pretend that the Apocalypse never happened and going to the office of an empty building every day and doing the same, even more pointless tasks over and over?

Anyway, I enjoyed the episode. It might be naive considering the Dad's palm and all (why didn't he amputate?) but I hope they manage to save the village.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:41 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

It's an important philosophical question you pose, Edjwald, and just so you don't spend the rest of your life agonizing over it, becoming thinner and thinner as you neglect both your eating and personal hygiene, I'm gonna answer it for you:

A true Bizarro Akira would be the one who pretends the Apocalypse never happened and goes to an office of an empty building every day and does the same, even more pointless tasks over and over. There you go... rest easy, my friend. What we have here is an angel and devil situation, both resting on one of Akira's shoulders. We've been watching the Angel Akira version, the guy who's Zombucket List is filled with either harmless or positive goals. Devil Akira - who we recognize as such thanks to the shark like teeth - has made his entrance.

As for the village: I share your desire for it to be spared, but it's toast. From a narrative point of view, I don't think the show wants to stipulate that there is a safe haven for our characters to live in rather than continue the dangerous practise of travelling. I hope I'm wrong, but that's my instinct.

Anyway, God knows how long we'll have to wait to find out. Still no word on when episodes 10 thru 12 will actually be released.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8