• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Subscriber links for outside users

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Whenever I want to link a story to my friends, I have problems because I'm a subscriber and therefore on the "fast" network. If I copy and paste the address, when people click, they get a password request login or a 404. I've tried replacing fast with www after pasting but that still doesn't work for some reason. Is there an easy way to do this without me having to log off, copy/paste/send, and then log back on?
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:01 pm Reply with quote
When you paste, you could just replace the fast. with www. in the URL. It should work for them when they click, but because you are a subscriber it redirects you to the fast server (unless you have this option turned off) and asks you to log in if you click the link to check.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:39 pm Reply with quote
No, I did that, or I tell my friends to do that, and it still directs them incorrectly. I don't understand why, because it *should* work, but for some reason it doesn't.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:19 pm Reply with quote
What's the link?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:31 pm Reply with quote
If you're pasting it into an IM or e-mail and then editing the url, the software may change the text but not the actual link. So even though it says "www" it still links to fast. Something like this:

fast.animenewsnetwork.com

If your friend clicks the fast link, they will be redirected to a login page (with a new url), and if they then change the url to www, they'll still be at the login page, only on www instead of fast

ie:
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/login.php?redirect=/
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/login.php?redirect=/

What I do is the following: I change the url in my browser to www (without hitting enter) and then I cut & paste it.

I'd like to add a link on the login page that says "I'm not registered, take me straight to the content." I'd also like to modify the login on fast to redirect registered non-subscribers to the appropriate page on www (maybe after first telling them about the benefits of subscription Smile ).

-t
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:52 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
I'd also like to modify the login on fast to redirect registered non-subscribers to the appropriate page on www

That's already how it works.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:54 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

What I do is the following: I change the url in my browser to www (without hitting enter) and then I cut & paste it.

Cool, I'll try to remember this for next time!

And yeah, a link for non-registered users on the login page would be great in case I forget. Smile

Thanks!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1