• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
O-Chibicon

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ramen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:30 pm Reply with quote
The news article is speculative, but not necessaraly biased. If you want to cry bias, you would have to make an argument that ANN is slanted to support O-Chibicon over other cons, which I don't know is true or not. In anycase, the speculation should probably have been left out of the article in my opinion.

In regards to editorials and opinion columns, there definitely is some bias. One example that clearly comes to mind is that ANN is more pro-industry in terms of fansubs. In fact, this is the only thing I can think of that ANN has a clear bias about. Are there others that peole see?

It is impossible, in my view, for any site, network, or anything for that matter to be completely unbiased. They can try, but people are biased and it is people who run these things. Someone already pointed out FoxNews' conservative leanings. CNN clearly drifts to the left. (granted FN has Alan Colmes and CNN has Tucker Carlson and Bob Novak to give some semblance of balance). It's just part of reality, and people need to understand that.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:42 pm Reply with quote
"(granted FN has Alan Colmes and CNN has Tucker Carlson and Bob Novak to give some semblance of balance)"

Bleah. Saying Alan Colmes brings any semblance of balance to Fox News is like saying that putting a feather on the left side of the scale will balance out the ton of bricks on the right side. That guy is a total doormat and rarely argues anything successfuly for the left. It's like Fox went out and purposefully got the lamest, weakest liberal they could. Hannity and Colmes is basically designed to further feed the right-wing need to hear what they already believe repeated on TV.

-Z
Delthayre

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, if Zac hadn't said it, I might have.

Also, as I recall the show's working title was Hannity and some liberal to be determined. I could go on for a while about Hannity & Colmes, but it's hardly necessary.

I think the article contained a speculative element that it could have done without, but I don't see it as a serious problem. ANN does seem to have a pro-industry slant. To be honest, being pro-industry myself, I scarcely even worry about it (I am far more careful about left-right bias in other news). Perhaps fansubs are passing as something to be seriously defended, like many things accepted in the past but now considered unconscionable. Even if ANN where to try to provide a balance to this, I am dubious that you could find a competent and sensible person to ably defend fansubs. The fansub issue is a complicated one and far less absolute than would be convenient, but essentially ANN seems to support, simply put, the legally recognized and licensed anime industry, which is hardly a ridiculous position.
Ramen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Bleah. Saying Alan Colmes brings any semblance of balance to Fox News is like saying that putting a feather on the left side of the scale will balance out the ton of bricks on the right side.

HAHAHAHAHAHA. That is so true. Yeah, I should have said the "illusion" of balance. Tucker falls in that catagory as well. They are just there to be the token opposing view points.

Delthayre wrote:
essentially ANN seems to support, simply put, the legally recognized and licensed anime industry, which is hardly a ridiculous position.

True, true. Bias is not necissarily a bad thing. It exists and we, as viewers and consumers, need to be able to take it in, analyse it, compare and contrast it, and form our own opinions.
edgewood

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Actually, my issue was simply that I haven't see any such comment related to animefest or ushicon. ((Re: O-Chibicon being competing with A-Kon.))

Those have been in progress as newer cons and seem to be doing just fine surviving in A-Kon's 'sphere of influence' if you want to take Texas as being such.

I also haven't seen any such comments about Kamikaze-con or Oni-con, which have been announced and in development longer than O-Chibicon. Both of these also being centered in Houston.

Further, if ANN is pro-industry I find it disturbing they just gave press to a con which originally (as Chibicon) used copyrighted characters and material on their original website: http://chibicon.homestead.com

My issue is that this convention seems to be getting preferential treatment and extra publicity over other conventions running and being planned in the same area.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:56 pm Reply with quote
For the record I don't think ANN is "pro-industry" so much as they are "pro-conventions that actually have announcements and news pertinent to the anime-fan community." Those typically include industry-type people. Which are good people.

Chibicon, to me, sounds little more than a souped-up anime club meeting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
goreddo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 2:52 am Reply with quote
To answer both of your question yes this is branched off of the same Chibicon that also consider to be more like a club. But this bigger convention is not being run by the same group of people as Chibicon used to this is not being run by a bunch of High school girls. Actually only one of those people are still around and that being the one most visible in the normal ones but who has a much diminished role in this Convention. It is true that the runners of Chibicon and A-kon have not always seen eye to eye but we wish nothing but luck to A-kon and the other conventions in Texas as all are either run or staffed by good friends. As for the bias I was as surprised as anyone that our convention was mentioned on ANN because aside from Allen Divers I do not know anyone on this site nor have I contacted anyone from this site although I am quite happy about it. We are looking mainly to bring American Voice actors to this convention and possibly one Japanese guest but as the convention is still a year away nothing has been finalized, but I can promise you this with what we are planning for activities anyone should have a great time. We are not planning this as an alterantive to A-kon or any other convention; this is a dream by our founder, Janet Variela as well as others.
GoatBoy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 8:24 am Reply with quote
While the use of "bias" may have been inaccurate, what concerns me is that ANN didn't appear to post a straight-shot and factual update. An example of what could have been posted is "Houston-based Chibicon, known for their one-day small-scale anime gatherings, will be making the move to presenting a larger-scale convention, titled O-ChibiCon."

Instead, they play the Hype Card, offering free advertising slanted towards promoting the convention in a favorable light, as opposed to neutral. Also, as Edgewood stated earlier, the article did not offer any mention of other Houston-based anime conventions currently in the planning stages for future dates.

Also, if the question of "Will Texas be big enough for two high-profile conventions?" is to be brought up, why is there no mention of what will probably be the convention with the highest profile, WizardWorld Texas?

For people outside of the Texas area, with little knowledge of what the convention scene in our state is like, this type of reporting can be damaging to the awareness level of the other conventions. The way O-Chibi was presented, those unaware of Texas cons could be given the impression that there may only be two anime conventions in Texas, A-Kon and O-Chibi.

So, with this said, a more helpful and potentially neutral article could have followed along these lines:

"Houston-based Chibicon, known for their one-day small-scale anime gatherings, will be making the move to presenting a larger-scale convention, titled O-ChibiCon. They will be debuting in August of 2004, placing them in close competition with another new Houston convention, Oni-Con. Yet another anime convention, KamikazeKon, will debut in the Houston area in March of following year.

This follows a recent example of Texas anime conventions moving away from the Dallas area as set by Austin-based Ushicon.

The new convention scene will be faced by an extremely high-profile upstart, the Dallas-based WizardWorld Texas, debuting this November. While not specifically an anime convention, the convention is being presented by Wizard Magazine, one of the more popular national comics magazines. Wizard has successfully presented three other WizardWorld conventions in the past, including WizardWorld L.A., WizardWorld East, and WizardWorld Chicago.

The Dallas area has been home to A-Kon, one of the highest-attended fan-run anime conventions, soon entering it's fifteenth year."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2