• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Elfen Lied (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:09 am Reply with quote
When I started out as an Anime fan it was the best show I had watched, and I truly believed it to be a Masterpiece. Nowadays, I've gotten a little older and a lot wiser, and my current rating for it is Very Good. I can spot the (numerous) flaws that my younger self didn't notice the first time through. Nevertheless, I still enjoy it immensely. Not so much for the last few episodes mind you (although I was and still am impressed by the bravery of the ending), but it does have some truly awesome episodes.

So, not a Masterpiece, but a darn good watch nonetheless.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:53 am Reply with quote
I shall admit, It still comes as a surprise to me that you enjoy this title, dtm42. My appreciation of Elfen Lied goes hand in hand with my appreciation of romantic moe titles—titles with which this series bears some similarities.
Indeed, much of the violence disturbs me greatly, but the elements I found to provide appreciable contrast to such explicitness are elements to which I assume you'd be averse.
Aside the admirable ending, which other scenes best met your satisfaction?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Levitz9

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:29 am Reply with quote
Elfen Lied, a masterpiece? Eeeeh...

It's kinda hard to sympathize with characters that'll rip you from limb-to-limb (and like it), and I can't say I like the humans, either, because if they're not spineless, then they're monsters...or have overly-dramatic backgrounds. It's like giving Oliver Twist an AK-47.

All of that violence and gore, IMO, can't cover up the fact that Elfen Lied's story is veneer-thin. It's got great music, that I won't deny...but a masterpiece? Not in my book. It's like Gantz--we've got our choice between criminals and teetotalers, and they all get massacred until someone decides to stand around and wax philosophic until he gets massacred. It's not BAD--Elfen Lied has the advantage of having better-than-average animation--but I've seen better shows than Elfen Lied.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Aside the admirable ending, which other scenes best met your satisfaction?

Well, the opening seven minutes, of course. And I did like most of the scenes with Nana, who despite her cutesy Voice Actor was my favourite character. But one scene that really sticks out is the one spoiler[with Mayu and Bando on the beach. That was a really effective scene, and Mayu showed incredible guts.]
daedelus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:33 am Reply with quote
I just realized that it's been almost 5 years since i've seen EL. It's definitely time for a re-watch.

Usually, subsequent viewings of a show tend to endear it to me more. It will be interesting to see if this holds true. For one thing, I nearly got an ulcer worrying about Nana. That will be one less stressful issue seeing as I already know her fate.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:59 pm Reply with quote
wow, 8 discussion threads for this show. anyways, The Anime Network has made the German dub available for subscribers on their website. Can't tell if it's good or not, but it is an interesting experience
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:55 pm Reply with quote
It is good....but it would be a masterpiece if Lucy had just made Yuuka's head explode. :'D
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Puppy killer anime. Pleading naked loli headshot anime. Masterpiece.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I meant the German dub, not the show
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:08 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Puppy killer anime. Pleading naked loli headshot anime. Masterpiece.

Lol, you should realize, this isn't the only anime that kills puppies or shows naked lolis, right?

Worst dog-killing scene in anime EVER: spoiler[Battle Angel]
And I did not look.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Very good show, way above average. Not one of the best though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:42 am Reply with quote
The English dub audio on the September Blu Ray release is garbage. Too much mid-range eq and not enough low end makes it sound airy and lifeless compared to the Japanese track. And it's not just the vocals, it's the ENTIRE track; music and sound effects, too. The English dub sounds much better on DVD (which I unfortunately sold on ebay in anticipation of the blu ray release).
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:50 pm Reply with quote
It honestly is one of the worst anime shows i've ever seen, and i've seen a lot of different series.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:04 am Reply with quote
rederoin wrote:
It honestly is one of the worst anime shows i've ever seen, and i've seen a lot of different series.

Why would you say that?

I enjoyed the series, it was on of the first I watched after a friend recommended it to me. I had a few gripes with the show, one of them being Yaka's feelings towards Kohta but I'm not a fan of watching that type of relationship between family members. All in all I really enjoyed the show and believe I rated it as excellent... but I'm a bit of a soft touch Laughing .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:21 am Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
rederoin wrote:

Why would you say that?

It's not hard, you just have to think for a second to realise that the premise for the plot is stupid. For the whole show to be the way it is the facility from which Lucy escaped must be run by a bunch of total idiots. And characterization is so flat that it can hardly be called characterization at all. Plus, tasteless fanservice and needless violence. It's very easy to think it is one of the worst anime shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 15